KEEN: Empowering Youth with Disabilities
One of our favorite organizations is KEEN, which stands for Kids Enjoy Exercise Now. KEEN’s mission is to empower youth with disabilities by providing free, non-competitive one-to-one exercise, led by volunteer coaches.
We’ve volunteered with KEEN a few times in San Francisco. On weekend mornings, we gather with fellow volunteers at the North Beach Pool from 12:00pm to 1:00pm. We're each paired up with a kid with a disability, and then we go have some fun! We swim around the pool, play with the various pool toys, and have a blast. The kids are awesome, and it's rewarding to get to know them. It's also helpful to the parents, who are given a rare chance to run errands or to relax for an hour!
KEEN has seven chapters across the country: Chicago; Los Angeles; New York; Phoenix; San Francisco; St. Louis; and Washington, D.C.
If you’re in San Francisco, here are our upcoming events.
- KEEN-QUATICS @ North Beach Pool: 3/11, 4/15, 5/27, 6/10 (Register)
- SPORTS Kids & Young Adults @ Embarcadero YMCA: 3/4, 3/18, 4/1, 4/22, 5/6, 5/20, 6/3 (Register)
- SPORTS & Yoga @ SF University High School: 3/4, 3/18, 4/1, 4/22, 5/6, 5/20, 6/3 (Register)
- KEEN Marin Sports @ The Branson School: 3/17, 4/21, 5/12 (Register)
- BASKETBALL CLINIC @ Embarcadero YMCA: 3/11, 4/15, 5/13, 6/10 (Register)
We will be volunteering at some of these events, and would love to meet anyone who comes out! Send us a message to let us know if you’re interested in joining—it’s a lot of fun! You can sign up to volunteer here. If you don’t have the time to volunteer, please consider making a donation to KEEN here. Thank you for your time and donations!